Intro

My thoughts about life, family and knitting. I am a knitter of over 30 years, just starting to spread my wings on designing my own items. I knit for fun, for my prayer shawl ministry at Sugarloaf UMC, and for my sanity. This blog will chronical my life and what is happening day by day. Grab a cup of tea and enjoy my short rants.



Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What the doctor told me!

Well, went to the doctor for a followup on some heart testing I had done last spring.  Yes I know that was almost a year ago, but there was a mix up in messages and I never got all the info.  From that, seems my heart is in good shape but the start of some blockage is happening, and it is happening in the walls of the arteries which is much more dangerous.  Most doctors look at what is already in the tubes, but most heart attacks come from the plaque that builds in the walls, like insulation between your inside and outside walls of your house.  That plaque is what most times will break off and cause the problems and because most doctors are not aware of it to look for it, they are surprised when someone has a heart attack.  In any case, I knew my risk was already high because of family history, so having this extra weight on was not helping.  Well most of my blood work shows that I am just over the border of normal, so we are catching it in the beginning and I can have a huge change go on.  I did find out that I am insulin resistant, so changing my eating is really going to help me there and I have to start walking, as soon as my surgeon says it is OK, and really start getting serious about it.  My doctor started a program, Plaque Busters where you can sign up and if you are part of a gym or your neighborhood has a moderator, you can earn points for exercising and losing weight and getting the health checkups to keep watch on your heart.  It is just starting out so the site is not fully functional, but I am hoping to get more people involved and get a group started to meet up for walking every day hopefully.

I knew that I have not been taking care of myself, but when I see the numbers and look at my young children, I know I want to be around a long time to see my grandchildren!!  I want to hear someone call me Omi!!  I do need to do a more low carb diet with lots of fruits and veggies to help me get my weight off.  I will be doing the Detox from my current read, Sexy Forever and from what I find at Suzanne Somers website.  If I become proactive with my health, my health will help and not hurt me in the years to come!!

I hope you have a wonderful day, even though it is dreary and cold here in GA.  The sun is starting to come out, so that should help!!

Go with God!

No comments:

Post a Comment